Thursday, March 15, 2007

Why Metallica Rocks

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm a BIG fan of music. I listen to it in the car, at work, and at home. I like nearly any type of music except for country. I grew up listening to country, and transitioned to my 'darker side' with Def Leopard showing me the path to the slippery slope. I think of them as my gateway band. Then the best thing in the world happend to me. I was browsing through the wares at my grandmother's garage sale and I saw a tape that simply said "Metallica". It was their self titled album. I had heard the name before and it sounded interesting so I asked if I could have it. Yoink! Of course she let me take it. Thanks Uncle Jeff!!!

I listend to half of that tape every night for about the next 3 years. Each night I'd flip the tape over and listen to the other side, falling asleep to the best music in the world every night. Then Metallica came out with a new album, Load wow, I was blown. What a great album. After that of course they came out with Reload. It just makes perfect sense.

What a great bunch of 3 albums...but wait! The had made 4 others before their self titled album that I'd never heard. Kill 'Em All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Ligntning, And Justice for All How could this not be my favorite band of all time. Each album I listened to got better and better each time I heard it. I started picking up on the subtle harmonies that were hidden behind the headbanging 100 MPH guitar playing. It still gets better each time I hear it.

The 7 CD's I've already mentioned are far and away my favorite albums from Metallica. But they have also come out recently with albums such as Garage, Inc., S&M (symphony), and Saint Anger. These are the products of the gang expanding their musical horizons.

Some Metallica Fanatics will tell you that their self titled album was the beginning of them selling out. I say just the oposite. Once they figured out the recipe for a great metal tune they could have repeated indefinately to make all the cash they wanted. Intead, their music was influenced by the culture around them, other's music, and aspects of personal life. That is what music should be all about. They were taking on the risk of losing fans in order to be true to themselves. It was their love of music that got them into the game and got them were they are as true legends of Rock & Roll.

If you don't believe me, just look at all of the tribute albums that are available. The Blackest Album is up to volume 3 I believe. There is the Metallic-Era. There is the Tribute to Four Horsemen. There is even an album of Metallica songs done by the Four Cellos.

Metallica, I salute you.

2 comments:

rock is dead said...

I dunno dude. The stuff they put out on the Black album and after that just never seemed to have the substance that their previous songs had. The thing turned a lot of fans off is that they could tell that the band had started thinking about the mainstream and writing pop songs, and it just wasn't what they were good at. The old fans knew this, and felt like the band didn't want to relate to them anymore.

http://90shardrock.blogspot.com

Leave the Hall said...

We have a theory about why Metallica have been rubbish since 88.

http://www.leavethehall.co.uk/lists/metals-greatest-mysteries-solved/