Thursday, March 29, 2007

Potty Break

I was put into an awkward situation today. I was at my desk at work and decided I needed to use the restroom. My office is in a small group of offices so our bathroom is not very large. Just one stander, and one sitter. As I was approaching the bathroom I heard a man's voice coming from the bathroom. That is not uncommon that people will ask how their days are going while washing hands etc.

I opened the door and walked in and there was only one person in the bathroom, making use of the sitter. He was on his cell phone. Lucky for me I only needed to use the stander. I finished my business but decided against flushing because I wasn't sure if this person wanted the person on the other line (possibly a customer!!! this guy is in sales) to know what he was doing while having the conversation. I sneaked over and quietly washed my hands before leaving the room.

Now, my belief is that it is extremely rude to use the phone while in the restroom. And I usually feel uncomfortable even talking to anyone else in the bathroom while business is being taken care of. Anyone that knows me knows that this is one of my pet peeves. If I realize that somebody is in the bathroom while talking to me on the phone, I will hang up on them. Also if I receive a phone call while in the bathroom, I'll let it ring and then call the person back after I'm finished. Most modern phones have a missed call history so you can easily just call the person right back.

Maybe this is not a big deal to most people, but keep in mind there are people out there like me so please be considerate and leave the phone at your desk when you need a potty break!

4 comments:

KevinL said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

I was "taking care of my business" at work while I read this on my laptop, what do you think of that.

Zorlod said...

I think this wasn't the first time you've had your pants down while making use of your laptop in the bathroom...that's what I think.

Mike D said...

i used to think not flushing after using the stander was rude. andy's case is a good excuse not to flush, but i've learned it's some kind of challenge to get the stander water as dark as possible.

now that we've moved into new buildings, they have stinky waterless urinals that don't flush at all, so there's no challenge and no cleansing. i just need to use a bottle at my desk from now on.....